Koehler Road Trail
The section of Koehler Road between Edgerton Street and County Road E/Centerville Road in Vadnais Heights has been identified as an area of concern for pedestrian and bicycle safety. The City of Vadnais Heights has invested considerable time and resources to investigate improvement options and looks forward to working with Ramsey County and other local stakeholders to implement the project.
Project Updates & Timeline
- Spring 2022: Ramsey County applied for a Safe Routes to School grant through a regional solicitiation from the Metropolitan Council.
- Late 2022: The Metropolitan Council selected the Koehler Road Trail project for Safe Routes to School funding.
- 2023: The City of Vadnais Heights and engineering firm, SEH, are developing a trail design and will provide an opportunity for public feedback before the design is finalized.
- 2024: anticipated trail construction.
A Task Force of residents and stakeholders, formed in 2018, has studied alternatives for pedestrian/bicycle safety near Koehler Road, between Edgerton Street and County Road E/Centerville Road.
The City, the Task Force, and our stakeholders have made important steps to advance the project.
- An alternatives analysis was performed in 2019 to examine potential trail placement along the corridor and to identify the pros and cons of the different options.
- A formal land survey was completed in 2020.
- The City partnered with Ramsey County to identify funding for the project. Ramsey County submitted the project for consideration to the Safe Routes to School Infrastructure Program through the Met Council, and funding was awarded.
Several meetings have been held along the way, and the City continues to invite our community to participate in the process of making Koehler Road a safer corridor for pedestrians and bicyclists.
Task Force Members
- Dorie Olson
- Larrie Pittelko
- Charlie Evertz
- Cindy Collova
- Rick Halverson
- Lucie Passus
- Michael Schmidt
- Gerald Baldridge (Parks, Recreation, and Trails Commission)
- Kent Hoskins (Parks, Recreation, and Trails Commission Alternate)
- Heidi Gunderson (City Council)
- Greg Urban (City Council)
- City Staff
- ISD 624/Vadnais Heights Elementary School
- Ramsey County Public Works
- Alternatives Analysis - Koehler Road (PDF)
- Koehler Road Corridor Map (PDF)
- Koehler Road Project Reference Sheet (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Memo - 12/6/18 (PDF)
- Task Force Committee Meeting - 12/6/18 Minutes (PDF)
- Task Force Committee Meeting - 9/9/19 (PDF)
- Meeting Minutes - 9/9/19
- Video - Driving Eastbound on Koehler Road (MP4)
- Video - Driving Westbound on Koehler Road (MP4)